Thursday, March 25, 2010

Michael Max's 7th Birthday

Michael with his car cake. He and Anna planned this cake weeks before his birthday.
This is Michael's birthday banner. I didn't know when I made it that it would become a tradition to hang it every year. Anna has a banner in shades of pink and thinks Sarah needs one of her own.
Like all kids, Sarah loves balloons and cake, so Michael's birthday was a fun day for her. Travis stayed up late making a big poster for Michael and hanging pictures of Michael all over his bedroom door. What a cute little boy he has always been!
Fun presents from Aaron and Angie and Will and Piper
Michael's got his own Playmobile airplane. Now he doesn't have to borrow Anna's (which she doesn't like to share) and their games have become more fun. Michael had a great birthday. Travis and I felt like he needed a little extra attention this year. The whole family went to watch his baksetball class in the morning. After basketball we ate at a sub shop called Jimmy John's for lunch, which Michael has been talking about for 9 months since he ate there when we moved here in June. While Emily took Anna to her violin lesson, Michael and Travis turned our basement into the Cougar Den with their decorations. We had a great time watching the game together (I can't remember which game that was four weeks ago!), and got to drink rootbeer in the basement while we watched it. We ate Michael's favorite dinner, spaghetti, had cake and ice cream, and went to Chuck E Cheese's in the evening. It was a full, Dastrup-style birthday celebration. Michael got his Playmobile airplane, rollerblades from Grandma and Grandpa Thompson, Myth Busters Explosions (we've watched all seven hours at least once) and a great storybook called Wolves in the Walls from Aaron and Angie, money from Grandma and Grandpa Dastrup (very exciting--the possibilities for spending it are endless!), and a Bakugan from Anna. I think he had a special day, and he's a pretty special boy.

5 comments:

Elisa said...

I can't believe he is 7! And that cake is adorable! I would never be able to make those little cars...no patience.

Angiegirl said...

That sounds like a seriously banner day! I'm so glad it was a good one. Love the cake, too! And you need to show me how to make the birthday banner. I love it. What a fun tradition.

Michael, we love Jimmy John's too! :)

Heathelyn said...

That cake looks AMAZING!!! Happy birthday Michael!

Angela Willis said...

I love how artistic your life is. You make everything around you beautiful. Thanks for your example, Super-Mom Emily!

Aaron said...

Holy car cake!! I swear when my kids ask for things like that I just want to cry. You go out and make a car(s) cake. That's a ripping good birthday, nice job.