Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Final Concerts in Indianapolis








Last weekend Anna and Michael had their final violin and cello concerts as members of the Indianapolis Academy of music. Anna's music was challenging and we have had many interruptions during the past two months, but she played well. I can't even think about saying goodbye to her teacher Kathy Hershberger, who has become such a good friend and been such an amazing teacher. We already said a teary farewell to Michael's teacher Cara Miller who is leaving the academy and teaching full time at IU in Bloomington. She has been commuting to Indy (1 hour 20 min.) to teach in the Indianapolis Academy. As the cello group began their first song of the dress rehearsal, "French Folksong," the mom sitting next to me and I started to cry. I can't explain how these simple songs become such a big part of your life when you practice instruments with your kids. I view the opportunity to take lessons from these two great women as two of the greatest blessings of our time in Indiana.


3 comments:

Aaron said...

Well. That was all kinds of sad and awesome. Those pictures are great, I love Michael with his cello and the picture of Anna with her sunglasses and violin case. It makes me wonder what she really has in there...

Elisa said...

That is sad and awesome. What a great accomplishment it has been for all of you to work so hard and drive a ways for lessons. I admire that you have done this with them Em. Who will teach them this next year?

Emily said...

Anna will take from Lucia May in Minneapolis. Her current teacher knows her from IU in Bloomington and said she's wonderful. I'm still looking for Michael. It's hard to find a good beginning cello teacher.