Friday, September 28, 2012

Happy Birthday to Dad Dastrup


I love this picture of Dad Dastrup--Grandpa Max Dastrup--holding Lucy on her blessing day. (It's not the clarity of the original, taken by Aaron, because it's a compressed email file.) The focus is intentionally on Lucy, but I love the soft presence of Grandpa holding her on his knee. I think this picture is representative of Travis's dad. He's always there, rock solid and fixed where he needs to be. He's helping to support and anchor everyone else, but he doesn't want the limelight or too much fussing. He wants to quietly be surrounded by the people he loves, and to quietly serve them. The following two pictures are only two examples of the many times he has finished my ironing pile for me. Once was when I was coming home from the hospital with Lucy, and the other while we were getting ready to put our Indiana house on the market. Travis wears a shirt and tie every day to work, and then several white shirts for bishopric duties. My ironing board is usually out with a large ironing pile just waiting for me to have time to attack it without little people pulling on me. This quiet act of service means so much to me. I love you! Happy Birthday!



2 comments:

Aaron said...

Nice, Emmy. A lovely post.

Unknown said...

If I would have known during high school that you knew how to iron, I would have traded dinner at the Hi Spot for a couple of shirts! 👍🏻 Mary Rawson Fillmore