Thursday, September 16, 2010

I thought I was being a good mom today . . .


I know these should be beautifully plated and then photographed in natural light, but this baker and her little Canon PowerShot don't have what it takes to photograph food. The stove top is where food goes in my kitchen because I barely have any counter space. I thought I was making a special treat for my kids when they got home from school. I spent yesterday canning tomatoes and making recipes with homegrown tomatoes from Travis's parents. That combined with an intense Power Pump class made me feel like I deserved a cinnamon roll today. Just as I popped them in the oven, thinking of how excited my kids would be when they came home and smelled them, the phone rang. It was Michael at school. "Mom! It was a 1/2 day. School got out at 12:40 (an hour and fifteen minutes ago). I've been waiting in the office and I'm so bored!" He had been calling on my cell phone, which I left in the car, and finally the school looked up our home number, which he didn't have memorized. He does now. Anna and Michael go to different schools and I have to drive them both ways. It's a lot of schedules for this brain of mine. Michael said there were 50 kids in the office whose parents also forgot. I felt a little better, but the truth is, I had no idea there was a 1/2 day! There wasn't a reminder and Michael switched to this school two weeks into the school year. Michael had to wait while the cinnamon rolls cooked, plus another fifteen minutes for me to drive to his school. I can't say it's the first time I've forgotten about an early-out day, and I bet it won't be the last, but maybe my kids will remember that their mom made them cinnamon rolls.

6 comments:

shanda said...

Hi Emily! I've made my kids wait in the office abazillion times. Not to mention I often bring them to school late too. ONe day all the on top of it all.

Angiegirl said...

They will.

I'm sorry you had the runaround and that Michael had to wait. But way to go on the cinnamon rolls! Yum.

Elisa said...

Cinnamon rolls fix everything. And now I of course, want to make cinnamon rolls!

Mary W said...

That was a great story....and very well written. Those cinnamon rolls (buns, in Canada)look wonderful!

Christa said...

What an amazing mom! I forgot early-out day the first time it happened this year. Lucky for me, Jacob's bus brings him right to our door.

Emily said...

Thanks, you all make me feel better--kind of like a cinnamon roll:)